Friday, March 2, 2012

Spotlight on one of our readers


I was so pleased to receive an email from one of our readers Sister Sarah Jean of Victoria BC and on loan to Toronto, Ontario.
Sister Sarah Jean was kind enough to send me some of her photos of her Maplelea Dolls and her incredible smocking work!
Sister Sarah Jean has three Maplelela Dolls Leonie, Jenna and Alexi as well as one Karito Kid Doll
Sister Sarah Jean is a member of a sewing group for Bluette, with ladies from all over the world. Bleuette patterns fit American Girl and Maplelela Dolls if they are enlarged by 1.5.
Sister Sarah Jean shared with me a bit of her doll collecting and doll history...

 
"I have loved dolls all my life, but my walking doll Susie made the most impression. I was knitting and crocheting at 6, hand sewing by 7 or 8, and then to the machine, an old Singer treadle. I found the patterns for my doll and learned how to sew on her. I also learned to follow a knitting pattern and knit her sweaters. She had a whole suitcase of clothes by the time I discovered Barbie.
 
I took a course in doll repair from California and began making dolls. Then nothing for a long time until I found a great pattern and got into dollmaking again - must have made 200 including soft sculptured. Now there is no market (yes, I sold them) so I concentrate on sewing. The discovery of Liberty Jane is giving me lots of ideas!"
 
Liberty Jane offers some wonderful patterns as you may know that fit our Maplelea Dolls so well. 
I am so thrilled to have connected with another doll lover and collector through my blog and want to Thank Sister Sarah Jean for allowing me to share her story and photos with all of you today!
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment